Monday, December 29, 2008

Harvey Mackay's Column

Harvey Mackay's column is included in the weekly Hartford Business Journal. I am a faithful reader because he always offers great insight and ends with a moral. His December 15th column really got my interest. Let me quote his opening statement "Whenever I come across a parable - or any little story - that can easily illustrate a point I wish to make, I love to use it." He then proceeded to tell a story of a very clever rabbit outwitting many other animals in the forest. The wise owl sums up the story with the moral, "It doesn't matter how stupid your thesis is, as long as you have the right advisor."

More than once as I led a story workshop for businesses I was asked to use only "business" story examples or I might lose the interst of the audience. I would not be taken seriously. What could a folk tale offer? Plenty! My favorite example is the Emperor's New Clothes. If you forgot the story take a quick read and think about how it demonstrates the principle of a leader who doesn't want to hear bad news and gets a reputation for "shooting the messenger."

Too often business people overlook the power of good story telling in communications. Story telling is seen as entertainment for children. Let's all learn from Harvey Mackay and learn to tell great stories to help make our message memorable. Include the story even if it is a folk tale. Who says you can't entertain and educate at the same time.

No comments: