Sunday, March 22, 2009

More tidbits from Made To Stick

Frequently when I work with clients they express concern about my knowledge of their businesses. They usually feel the need to give me background information. I usually discourage this and always have to explain it because the client doesn't see how I could help them with stories if I don't know the business.

Chip and Dan Heath summed it up beautifully in their book "Made to Stick". They call it the Curse of Knowledge. Sometimes we know too much about our subject matter to be able to step back and look at it objectively and create the best marketing communications. Jargon is one of the biggest culprits here. People tend to fall into jargon without even realizing it. Most listeners/readers will never stop and ask what you mean, my guess is because of fear of looking stupid.

I always encourage those working on stories for marketing to run the stories by someone outside of the business and ask for feedback, did it make sense, was it complete, did it leave questions unanswered. Usually we are too close to the subject, Curse of Knowledge, to effectively edit our own work.

The more of an expert you are in your profession the more you need an outsider to help bring fresh eyes to your work.

No comments: