Monday, October 5, 2009

Business Storytelling: The Weston Woods Story

Weston Woods, what an amazing place. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to tour the old studio sites of Weston Woods in Weston Connecticut. Weston Woods is an animation company that was ahead of its time back in the 50's and 60's. They developed a way of animation, different from the traditional cartoons of action one cell at at time.

I can't say I was familiar with Weston Woods but once I got to the property I realized that as a youngster I was the beneficiary of the creative genius behind the studio. The first projects were taking well known children's books and animating them for movies. Their idea was to use the pictures from the book and use the actual text. They produced many of these shorts for Captain Kangaroo. As a devoted fan of the Captain I vaguely remember these movies that were shown.

It was fascinating to hear the story behind the animation. Morton Schindel, the founder, was there to give us his unique perspective. We also had the current president of Weston Woods on the tour. Overall, a wonderful experience into a different type of story.

They are trying to get the old property where the original studios are housed approved as a museum. There are some zoning issues. My hope is that they can overcame these obstacles and everyone can enjoy the behind the scenes story of Weston Woods.

No comments: