Friday, April 18, 2008

Randy Pausch

Last week there was this amazing story on television about a man named Randy Pausch. I had heard part of his "Last Lecture" and was intrigued so I watched the special. Randy is a man who was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer and given 3-6 months to live. He has defied the odds and lived much longer than that, I beleive mostly because he has a great attitude and is living life to the fullest. His is a great uplifting story.

As inspiring as his story is what really hit home for me was when he said "Don't give people advise on how to live their lives, tell them a story and they'll figure it out." Randy echoed what many cultures around the world have known for thousands of years. Here in the United States we seemed to have lost touch with the power of a story. What a shame. Although I am heartened to see many websites and events geared to storytelling in its many forms.

We all can learn much from Randy and his story. If you haven't heard his last lecture yet, I urge you to search the web for a copy. It is well worth the time.

No comments: