Sunday, May 18, 2008

Many Uses for one Story

This week I was working with a client on her story. She ran through the story and it sounded stilted and quite frankly a bit "bookish". At one point I asked her how she knew something was true, did she have research to back up her claim. "No", she said, "I lived it, that really happened to me"! Viola, I realized what the problem was, she was trying to make an emotional appeal to persuade and was not using her own emotions. With a few quick changes I had her tell me HER story soon I was listening to a friend tell me about a problem and how I could help to solve the problem and avoid it in the future. It was no longer a dry sales pitch.

When we finished that story we moved on to her second one. I convinced her instead of trying to create a whole new story she could use the same story and just emphasize different points. For instance the first version was to be used to sell programs to colleges. The second story was to be used to enlist the help of companies. By simply showing the pain (different pains) that was being solved for both by her programs she could practice and polish one story for both presentations.

Think about that next time you need to pitch an idea to different audiences. Use the same story and emphasize different points to solve the pain of your client.

Any questions let me know, www.carolmon.com

No comments: