Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Business Storytelling: WOW Customer Service

A client asked me about running a workshop to collect exceptional customer service stories. I immediately thought of Ritz-Carlton and their WOW story sessions that I had read about awhile ago. Each shift, employees gather for 15 minutes to share customer service stories that show going above and beyond.

Sharing stories and having the set time dedicated for this purpose drives home the value placed on customer service by the Ritz-Carlton. My client was not aware of the program at the Ritz but felt stories needed to be used to encourage great customer service. I agree!

I'm sure the employees have delivered exceptional service. The problem is, until telling the stories is encouraged and practiced what you probably will hear is "I don't have a story to tell." It takes a little practice, prodding and modeling but once the idea catches on it becomes viral, everyone seems to have a story. Then of course in the coming days human as we are, we will want to top the customer service stories and suddenly you have a cultural shift and loyal repeat customers.

I can't wait to get started, facilitating these story sessions!

No comments: