Friday, July 24, 2009

Telling Stories Leads to Business

More than once I have found that when I tell someone a story about something I have done recently with a client it generates interest and I end up picking up another client.

It happened again this morning. I was talking with a colleague about some work I had recently done with a client, in essence telling a story. The proverbially light bulb went off over her head and she realized that I could help her in the same way. Now I've known this colleague for awhile but she had never been exposed to that piece of my business. If I had not been telling the story of how I got my client, what I had done for her and how she is now better off for my help I don't think my colleague would have ever thought of hiring me.

We tell stories all the time, formally and informally. You never know when one of these narratives will spark just the right thought and ultimately benefit you. Keep telling interesting stories.

No comments: